Former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has suffered recorded falls while in detention at the International Criminal Court, according to a public filing by the ICC Registry that also confirmed he is under continuous 24/7 monitoring because of age-related health risks.
In a redacted filing dated May 20, the Registry said Duterte is being continuously observed inside the ICC Detention Centre in The Hague because he is “an elderly detained person” with an increased risk of falling due to his age and several chronic physical ailments.
The Registry acknowledged that Duterte had fallen while in custody, though it disputed defense claims that the incidents were frequent.
“On rare occasions where Mr. Duterte did have a fall, ICC DC custody staff were able to respond immediately to assist him, and immediately call for medical assessment,” the filing said. “There has not been any fall recorded in the last thirty days.”
The ICC said the monitoring setup allows custody staff to respond quickly to medical or security concerns. It also said adjustments were made inside Duterte’s cell and visiting rooms following the incidents, including repositioning items to allow for safer and more stable movement.
The Registry said Duterte’s movements remain “consistent with his age and mobility,” adding that medical officers and specialists continue to assess his loss of balance and overall condition.
Duterte’s defense had earlier raised concerns over his physical condition and detention, claiming he experienced “frequent episodes of falls” and seeking observations based on surveillance footage and detention records.
His new lawyer, British attorney Peter Haynes, has asked Trial Chamber III to order a fresh medical evaluation before trial proceedings continue.
Duterte remains detained on charges of crimes against humanity involving murder and attempted murder linked to alleged killings during his time as mayor of Davao City and later as president. He has denied the allegations.


















