The flood control investigation has entered a more serious legal phase, with DPWH Secretary Vince Dizon saying months of case buildup are now yielding results after the Department of Justice recommended plunder, graft, bribery and related charges against Sen. Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada, former DPWH Secretary Manuel Bonoan and several officials linked to the DPWH.
Dizon said the government is prioritizing strong evidence over speed as the cases move through the legal process. “Naniniwala ako na matibay ang ebidensya na isusumite ng DOJ sa Ombudsman at yung isusumite eventually sa Sandiganbayan, so mananagot yung lahat ng dapat managot,” he said.
The Office of the Ombudsman received the DOJ recommendation on May 18. The allegations involve supposed attempts by public officials and private individuals to manipulate allocations, rig bidding processes and siphon government funds from flood control projects tied to the 2025 national budget.
Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano said the DOJ resolution came after months of evaluation, submission of counter-affidavits, evidence gathering and a complaint filed by the NBI-DOJ Public Works and Bid-Rigging Task Force. The evidence cited included legislative records, position papers and sworn transcripts from Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearings.
Former DPWH engineer Brice Hernandez earlier alleged that Estrada was linked to ₱355 million worth of flood control projects in Bulacan involving an alleged 30-percent cut. Estrada denied the accusations and said he would consult his lawyers. He had previously filed perjury charges against Hernandez, but the DOJ dismissed the case for lack of evidence.
The DOJ also recommended dismissing the case against former DPWH Undersecretary Maria Catalina “Cathy” Cabral, who died in December 2025. Former DPWH officials Roberto Bernardo, Henry Alcantara and Gerard Opulencia were excluded after being placed under witness protection.
The Ombudsman still holds the final authority on whether the cases will proceed to the Sandiganbayan, making the strength of the evidence the next major test in the push for accountability over flood control projects.


















