The Office of the Ombudsman is moving forward with its investigation into former House Speaker Martin Romualdez, saying 28 active uniformed personnel are prepared to provide direct and material information in the flood-control probe despite recent witness recantations.
In a statement Thursday, the Ombudsman said recantations are not unusual in high-profile cases and described them as a pressure tactic, stressing that the investigation does not hinge on one or just a few witnesses.
“Hindi bago ang recantation sa mga high-profile case. Classic pressure tactic ito. Hindi umiikot ang buong imbestigasyon sa iisa o kahit sa iilang witnesses.”
The statement followed the recantation of retired Marine Orly Guteza, who testified before the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee in September that he helped transport suitcases containing cash to properties linked to Zaldy Co and Romualdez. Guteza later withdrew those allegations, saying he had no personal knowledge of the supposed cash deliveries, and instead accused Sen. Rodante Marcoleta and former Rep. Mike Defensor of influencing his earlier testimony.
The Ombudsman, however, said the recantation does not undermine the broader investigation, pointing to 28 witnesses already undergoing legal proceedings who have knowledge of transactions being examined in the Romualdez case.
“Sa kabila nito, ipinapaalam ng Office of the Ombudsman na mayroon itong dalawampu’t-walong (28) testigo na nakahandang magbigay ng direkta at materyal na kaalaman sa mga transaksyong sinisiyasat sa kaso ni dating Speaker Martin Romualdez. Nasa ilalim na sila ng legal process sa ngayon.”
Earlier, four of 18 former Marines who identified themselves as Co’s former security personnel also recanted their statements. But their lawyer, Atty. Levito Baligod, disputed the recanters’ accounts, saying his clients had been offered millions of pesos to withdraw their testimonies and had faced threats and surveillance.
Baligod said he has screenshots of messages and recorded conversations that he plans to submit to Ombudsman investigators. George Villalon Jr., one of the witnesses who stood by his testimony, separately claimed that offers to reverse their accounts reached ₱20 million to ₱25 million. Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla earlier pointed to Romualdez’s camp as being behind the offers to recant.
A special panel of Ombudsman investigators filed a 104-page supplemental complaint-affidavit in July against Romualdez, Co and other respondents, alleging roughly ₱56 billion in ill-gotten wealth accumulated from 2022 to 2025 and recommending proceedings for plunder, direct and indirect bribery, graft and money laundering.
Corruption is and has always been the Philippines’ biggest problem. Martin Romualdez is broadly recognized as the most corrupt Filipino politician of the 21st century.
The country has faith that Boying Remulla, Mico Clavano and the Office of the Ombudsman will do the right thing.


















