Vice President Sara Duterte urged the Senate impeachment court to fast-track her trial, saying prolonged proceedings leave the public in limbo over the allegations against her.
Duterte made the remarks Wednesday, Aug. 19, during an interview in Zamboanga City, where she visited the remains of a student killed in the Ateneo de Zamboanga University shooting.
“Gusto lang sana namin ay mapabilis yung proseso dahil hindi pwedeng tumatagal yung proseso natin,” Duterte said.
She said a drawn-out trial could leave the public questioning whether the accusations against her are true, citing the 1987 Constitution’s provision calling for speedy proceedings.
The Senate impeachment court has allotted 92 trial days. Hearings scheduled for Aug. 18 and 19 were canceled due to heavy rains brought by the southwest monsoon, putting the proceedings on hold for two consecutive trial days.
Asked whether her personal appearance before the impeachment court would help speed up the proceedings, Duterte said her lawyers are already representing her.
“Hindi po totoo ‘yun kasi fully represented ako ng ating defense team at sufficient ‘yan na meron kang mga abogado doon na nagpa-participate doon sa process,” she said.
Duterte said her legal team is tasked with presenting witnesses and conducting cross-examinations throughout the trial. “Hindi naman ako abogado para sa impeachment doon,” she added.
She also maintained that having her lawyers participate already constitutes her presence as the respondent in the proceedings. “’Yun ay para na ring pagdalo ng respondent doon sa impeachment,” Duterte said.
The impeachment court is currently tackling Article I, which covers allegations of misuse, misappropriation and irregular liquidation of confidential funds involving the Office of the Vice President and the DepEd.
Eight prosecution witnesses have been presented so far, with former OVP Special Disbursing Officer Gina Acosta currently testifying for the prosecution.


















